The J&J Vision (Johnson & Johnson Vision) VISX STAR S4 IR Excimer Laser system is designed to bring Advanced CustomVue laser vision correction to life. Featuring VSS Refractive™ technology (Variable Spot Scanning) and VRR™ (Variable Repetition Rate) pulse-packing algorithm, both proprietary to J&J Vision, the VISX STAR S4 IR Excimer Laser reduces thermal effects on the cornea, allowing the user to perform the Advanced CustomVue procedure quickly and effectively, while maximizing patient safety.
Using the VISX STAR S4 IR Excimer Laser system, surgeons can deliver the broadest range of wavefront-guided laser vision correction treatments to patients. In fact, more than 94 percent of eligible candidates in the U.S., and more than 99.75 percent outside the U.S., may potentially benefit from the Advanced CustomVue procedure featured on the VISX STAR S4 IR Excimer Laser system.
- VISX STAR S4 delivers benefits of Iris Registration (IR)
- STAR S4 IR conserves tissue by optimizing treatment times and minimizing thermal effects on the cornea
- VISX STAR S4 IR minimizes additional time for wavefront-guided custom treatment over conventional treatment
- STAR S4 IR eliminates the need for dilation; laser tracks on the natural pupil
- VISX STAR S4 IR maximizes practice efficiency and workflow through ease of use and ergonomics
- STAR S4 IR adjusts for intra-patient (XYZ) movement with ActiveTrak to further improve treatment accuracy
VISX STAR S4 IR Registration + Resolution
J&J Vision offers the first treatment with FDA-approved automated Iris Registration (IR), a non-contact method for aligning and registering the Advanced CustomVue procedure. IR correctly centers and aligns the treatment, independently of pupil center migration, as well as compensates for cyclotorsional movement, providing a more precise ablation placement. With IR, you can instantly re-register treatment when necessary. By enabling much more accurate alignment, IR gives you the confidence that the treatment you deliver will be safe, effective and accurate.
VISX STAR S4 IR Additional Benefits
- VISX STAR S4 IR reduces the impact of pupil centroid shift
- STAR S4 IR compensates for cyclotorsional movement
- VISX STAR S4 IR eliminates the time needed for manual marking
- STAR S4 IR accommodates all wavefront guided laser vision correction procedures
- VISX STAR S4 IR leverages multiple matching reference points for each iris
When using the VISX STAR S4 IR Excimer Laser system, optimal results require precise alignment of the laser treatment. By linking diagnostic wavefront information with the treatment itself during the Advanced CustomVue procedure, IR provides a much higher level of alignment accuracy and precision, giving the surgeon confidence that the treatment will be placed in the correct location.
VISX STAR S4 IR During Treatment Delivery, IR:
- Finds and unwraps the iris in preoperative and operative images
- Selects prominent reference points
- Applies a set of sophisticated algorithms to find multiple matching reference points for each iris
- Calculates the ablation torsional angle from multiple matching reference points, and adjusts the treatment positioning prior to ablation
- Automatically checks the solution quality to help prevent false matches
VISX STAR S4 Optimal Outcomes With Iris Registration (IR)
A patient’s pupil center will move relative to the outer iris boundary in different environments. To minimize the impact of this movement, IR:
- Records the outer iris boundary at the WaveScan and laser
- References the WaveScan pupil center to the outer iris boundary
- Records the pupil center relative to the outer iris boundary and compares it under the laser to the WaveScan reading
- Centers the laser ablation over the WaveScan pupil center
VISX STAR S4 IR VSS And VRR: Safety And Speed
The VISX STAR S4 IR Excimer Laser system features VSS Refractive technology (Variable Spot Scanning) and VRR (Variable Repetition Rate) pulse-packing algorithm, both proprietary to J&J Vision. The VSS Refractive technology produces variable beam sizes from as small as 0.65 mm up to 6.5 mm, while VRR varies the VISX STAR S4 IR repetition rate from 6 Hz to 20 Hz. By continually changing the size and placement of the laser beam, the VISX STAR S4 IR Excimer laser rapidly delivers the precise ablation pattern required, significantly reducing ablation time. This capability minimizes thermal effects on the cornea and allows you to perform the procedure as quickly as possible.
VISX STAR S4 IR Additional Benefits
- VISX STAR S4 IR optimizes laser spot size, placement and repetition rate based on pulse-packing algorithm
- VISX STAR S4 IR enables wide range of beam sizes for more precise shapes
- VISX STAR S4 IR reduces thermal effects on the cornea, allowing the fastest and safest treatment speed
VISX STAR S4 IR ActiveTrak 3-D Active Eye Tracking
VISX STAR S4 IR with ActiveTrak 3-D Active Eye Tracking with automatic centering is the first FDA-approved tracker in the industry to track eye movements along the X, Y and Z axes. These features on the VISX STAR S4 IR Excimer Laser system facilitate the accurate performance of the Advanced CustomVue procedure.
Johnson & Johnson acquired Abbott Medical Optics (AMO).